Wet Mount Course: Examination and Interpretation of Wet Preparations of Vaginal Specimens
San Francisco, CA
Examination and Interpretation of Wet Preparations of Vaginal Specimens
Thursday, November 2, 2023 from 2:00PM-5:00PM (PDT)
Instructors: Sharon Adler, MD, MPH and Lee Fagen, NP
In-person class only. Onsite at the UC San Francisco Campus, San Francisco, CA
3.0 CME units offered at no cost
In-person laboratory course intended for practicing clinicians with prior wet mount experience and microscopy skills.
The course begins with a fifteen minute didactic presentation on applicable issues of CLIA regulation, quality control, and interpretation vaginal wet mount (VWM) for common causes of vaginitis. This will be followed by a fifteen minute video that details through the microscope footage of findings on VWM including trichomads, yeast and clue cells associated with BV. The remaining two and one-half hours consists of experiential training, including laboratory practicum on examination of saline and KOH vaginal wet mounts (VWM). During this portion of the training, participants will have an opportunity for group discussion, explanation, and demonstration, as well as practice and return demonstration.
- Practice proper preparation of saline and KOH specimens of vaginal fluid to increase viability of specimens for microscopic evaluation.
- Perform proper use of the light microscope to improve examination of saline and KOH wet mount specimens.
- Assess wet mount microscopy specimens to appropriately interpret findings that support diagnosis of vulvovaginal candidiasis, bacterial vaginosis or trichomoniasis.
- Wet Mount course capacity limited to 8 persons.
- Wet Mount course intended for practicing clinicians with prior wet mount experience and microscopy skills.
- Within 24 hours of registering for the course, you will receive an email confirmation from email@example.com to the email address you used to register with on NNPTC. Please review the email prior to attending the course.
- Please note: Your registration is pending or wait listed until reviewed by the Program Manager for approval. Please allow 3-5 business days for review and email confirmation of your registration status from the Program Manager.
This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with accreditation requirements and policies of the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) through the joint providership of the University of Nevada, Reno School of Medicine and California Prevention Training Center. The University of Nevada, Reno School of Medicine is accredited by the ACCME to provide continuing medical education to physicians. The University of Nevada, Reno School of Medicine designates this live activity for a maximum of 3.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity. Nurses may receive continuing education credit for this educational activity as the ANCC accepts AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™ through its reciprocity agreement. Nurses should check with their individual licensing boards to confirm the acceptability of AMA credits for the purpose of licensing renewal.
As an accredited provider of continuing medical education through the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) the University of Nevada, Reno School of Medicine must ensure balance, independence, objectivity, and scientific rigor in all its educational activities. In order to assure that information is presented in a scientific and objective manner, The University of Nevada, Reno School of Medicine requires that anyone in a position to control or influence the content of a continuing medical education activity disclose relevant financial relationships with any commercial or proprietary entity producing health care goods or services relevant to the content being planned or presented. All presenters, planners or anyone in a position to control the content of this continuing medical education activity have indicated that neither they nor their spouse/legally recognized domestic partner has any financial relationships with commercial interests related to the content of this activity.
Elizabeth Olson 510-625-6016 Elizabeth.Olson@ucsf.edu